Thursday, October 21, 2010

Satan's Top Ten Lies...Instant Gratification in All Things

You'd think with how many letters I write I'd have decent handwriting by now.  Oh well, I really am a computer guy, though.  Anyway, I just had time before class so I decided I would write to you.

Change of pens. It's been a few hours since I started and the pen I was writing with is being used by someone else.  Anyway, I put some great quotes in this letter for you - figured you might enjoy them.  Also, I have given you Satan's Top Ten Lies. Use this knowledge wisely.  Now that I've sounded special...I'm really tired and think I want to sleep, but I have an hour and a half before I can even get the chance...

I miss you lots and I'm sorry for the lack of stories.  There just isn't much going on except study here, but since my next letter will be from out in the field you'll get lots.

<3 Your missionary
Scot

P.S. I love you



"We live in a day when the adversary stresses on every hand the philosophy of instant gratification. We seem to demand instant everything, including instant solutions to our problems.

We are indoctrinated that somehow we should always be instantly emotionally comfortable. When this is not so, some become anxious - and all too frequently seek relief from counseling, from analysis, and even from medication.

It was meant to be that life would be a challenge. To suffer some anxiety, some depression, some disappointment, even some failure is normal.

Teach our members that if they have a good, miserable day once in a while, or even several in a row, to stand ready to face them. Things will straighten out.

There is great purpose in our struggle in life" (Elder Boyd K. Packer, Ensign, May 1978, p.93).

 

Elder Maxwell stated: (D&C 88:44)
"Since - unlike for us enclosed by the veil - things are, for God, one 'eternal now, it is to be remembered that for God to foresee is not to cause or even to desire a particular occurrence - but it is to take that occurrence into account before hand, so that divine reckoning folds it into the unfolding purposes of God.  Thus for those with faith it can be said as by Paul, 'And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.' (Romans 8:28)" (All These Things, 12).



Satan's Top Ten Lies
2Ne 28

Lie #1 THERE ARE NO MIRACLES..."preformed today...they ceased with the death of the apostles" (v. 6)

Lie #2 HAVE FUN NOW, REPENT LATER..."and all will be well with us" (v. 7)

Lie #3 EVERYBODY'S DOING IT OR YOU'RE MISSING OUT..."many will shall say eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die." (v. 7-9)
Lie #4 CAN SERVE GOD AND SATAN AT THE SAME TIME..."eat, drink and be merry; nevertheless fear god" (v. 8)

Lie #5 A LITTLE SIN IS NOT SERIOUS..."He will justify you in committing a little sin." (v. 8)

Lie #6 GOD WILL MAKE AN EXCEPTION WITH YOU..."God will beat us with a few stripes and then you'll be saved in the Kingdom of God." (v.8)

Lie # 7 YOU CAN HIDE YOUR SINS FROM GOD..."shall seek deep to hide their counsels from the Lord; and their works shall be in the dark." (v. 9)

Lie #8 YOU HAVE NO NEED TO CHANGE OR REPENT..."he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security...shall say all is well in Zion."(v. 21)

Lie #9 THERE IS NO HELL..."others flattereth away, and telleth them there is no hell..." (v. 22)

Lie #10 THERE IS NO DEVIL...he whispereth in their ears..."I am no devil for there is none..." (v. 22)

No comments:

Post a Comment